Global Earthworks: Ancient Games
Wednesday 21st June 2017 at FPHS
Around the World in Sport
- The history of games and sport goes back a long long way!
- Games are an integral part of all cultures and are one of the oldest forms of human social interaction. Games are formalised expressions of play which allow people to go beyond immediate imagination and direct physical activity.
- Common features of games include uncertainty of outcome, agreed upon rules, competition, separate place and time, elements of fiction, elements of chance, prescribed goals and personal enjoyment.
- Games capture the ideas and worldviews of their cultures and pass them on to the next generation. Games were important as cultural and social bonding events, as teaching tools and as markers of social status.
What is involved?
A Competition involving Y4, 5 and 6 pupils participating in Aboriginal Dodgeball, Mayan Basketball and Egyptian Tug of War. All activities incorporate core skills from the PE Curriculum across Primary and Secondary Curriculums.
Fran Younge (PE Teacher from FPHS) will work with schools leading up to the day on basic skills and rules
Where is it?
At Falinge Park High School on Wednesday 21st June 2017 1.30 -4.30pm
Teams will consist of:
- 24 pupils in total from each of the four schools involved in Global Earthworks this year (with at least 2 members of staff and support if necessary).
- From the 24 children there will be 12 year 6 pupils (1 Team) and 12 pupils in total from year 4 or 5 (1 Team). Schools are encouraged to bring an equal number of boys and girls for each year group to ensure there is fair competition and equal opportunity.
- Two competitions will take place; a year 6 competition and a combined year 4 & 5 competition. Every school plays each other at three events. No school is sat out during an event.
Schools and teams will need PE Kit and a water bottle and sunscreen if necessary. Each individual school is responsible for their own pupils, risk assessment and evolve.
All Schools and pupils will meet in the Sports Hall at 1.30pm ready for an afternoon competition finishing with a presentation at 4.15 pm.
Please confirm to Jenny Wystawnoha (email@example.com) which teams you would like to enter by March 31st 2017.